Monday, August 22, 2016

I Am Back from Alaska

For the next few days, I want to show you our "Last Frontier" -- Alaska.

I planned this trip for quite some time, and I can actually say it was worth every cent and every minute. It was amazing. I thought I would be able to blog along the way, but it was impossible, so this stream of information had to be side-lined until I returned. Believe me, though, that I thought of this blog as I took the hundreds of pictures. wanting to show the beauty to all right then and there.

We decided to go with Holland America because it was the only cruise agenda that would take us to Anchorage and back to Seattle. Most cruises will take you one way -- either from Vancouver to Seward (Anchorage area) or vice versa and then fly home. Then, you take a trip to Denali, but we decided against the week trip to the great mountain, basically because through the years I heard that with cloudy weather you might not see the top of the mountain. In some of the photos I share, you will understand that is just a part of the terrain. We also wanted one that left from Seattle so we could spend a few days there to enjoy this Pacific Northwest city.

Our itinerary was:

1 travel day
3 full days in Seattle
Transfer to ship and get settled

1st day was at sea
2nd day was at sea, cruising by Vancouver Island
3rd day we stopped in Ketchikan, Alaska
4th day we had some scenic cruising past Tracy Arm
5th day we stopped in Juneau, Alaska
6th day we stopped in Icy Strait Point, Alaska
7th day was at sea
8th day we stopped in Anchorage, Alaska (yes, we actually docked in Anchorage)
9th day we stopped in Homer, Alaska
10th day we stopped in Kodiak, Alaska
11th day we cruised past Hubbard Glacier
12th day we stopped in Sitka, Alaska
13th day was at sea
14th day we stopped in Victoria, British Columbia
15th day it was over and we headed home.

Then, I was exhausted, and took about four days to recover enough to be able to write again. So, I am back, and I want to share the entire trip with you. I really hope you are able to go to this "Last Frontier" if you have not already. I do know from all the people I know and who have gone, I have never met one who did not enjoy the trip and think it was incredibly beautiful. There is just so much to write about -- from the people who come from all walks of life and all over the U.S. to work there for the summer to learning about Russia's influence in this once-Russian territory to learning about the natives, the land, the fishing, the glaciers...

Tomorrow, we will be travelling to Seattle and get a glimpse of this Pacific Northwest city. But, until then, I will leave you with just a glimpse of Mother Nature. I believe it is the Mendenhall glacier is in the background. Anyone is free to use these pictures to share. They are absolutely gorgeous.


Until then...have a great day...



No comments:

Post a Comment