Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

Hilton Head Island in S. Carolina was one of my stopping points during my Christmas travels. I have two nephews and their families who live and work there, and it is always a nice place to visit. I have stayed at their house, or have rented a condo for an extended stay, or stayed in a hotel for a day or two. This time, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Beach House, and it was very reasonable in price (off-season) with a great room and a great location -- on the beach.

I thought I would simply show you around Hilton Head.

 These photos here are at the Holiday Inn. Nice lazy river pool, huh! but it was too cold to go into.

To my right is the view from my room. What a great way to wake up in the morning.

People walk the beach in the early part of the day (low tide) looking for sea shells that have washed up on the beach.






You can usually find a volleyball net set up and ready to be used.

But what I really enjoyed was the sign --
it reads..."only turtles permitted beyond this point.


I have been here so many times that I kinda know the area. I will give you a tip. If you are driving in on 278 from I-95, and if you are headed to the beach, do NOT take the expressway where you have to pay the toll. Save the money by going on business 278 (which means stay to the right) and you will arrive at the beach area. This island is small -- 12 miles long and 5 miles wide.

It does get very crowded in the summer, so be prepared if you go then. You will have a long ride getting onto the island. Off-season, though, all is a breeze.



One area that I really enjoy when I visit is the Coligny Beach area. From the street, you walk on a cobbled area where there is seating and swings to enjoy the people watching. The cobbled area opens up to a boarded path until you hit the sand. I just like this area, but there are plenty of beach areas, namely Forest Beach, Burkes Beach, Driessen Beach, and Folly Field Beach. But, to me, Coligny is in the middle of everything. But, that's me.


I had to show a picture of this extra large tree that is at the entrance of Coligny Beach. I like trees.

Hilton Head is really about the vegetation. The entire island is lined with trees and vegetation along the thoroughfare, and it does take some getting used to to know where anything is. Most businesses are hidden from view due to the greenery. But, it is beautiful.

Here is simply a scene of a street. And they all look like this.

If I had a ton of money I would live right here, steps from the Atlantic Ocean.


I found a chocolate shop on the island because she had the sign on the mailbox on the road. Never would have guessed it would have been there if not for the sign. Of course, I had to buy some.

And if you are a bike enthusiast or triathlete, you should visit Go Tri Sports. My nephew owns this shop that specializes in bikes and shoes. But he also hosts many, many running events on the island for both adults and children. 

The picture on the right is my artistic ability of his logo as I made him a mug. 

If you decide to visit Hilton Head, there is much to do in the surrounding area, also. I have been to Parris Island, which is a U.S. Marine Recruitment Depot. I was allowed on the base to go to the museum there, and I must say, I was impressed. 

Then, Savannah is about 45 minutes away, and Charleston is about 2 hours away. Tons to do in either of these towns.

Yes, Hilton Head is a great place to go. And stay for awhile. And keep going back to. As my nephew says, "This is Paradise." Pretty close, I would say.

Until tomorrow...have a great day...

No comments:

Post a Comment