Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Completing the Ceramic Projects

I can't believe it. I am going to be finished with all my large ceramic projects before the end of the year. That is great, because next year I am going to cut back on the ceramics to go further with the stain and fused glass pieces. So, I am thrilled.

Let me show you my finished products.

Remember this piece as I started painting it. I painted the outside with a pink foundation, thinking it would be a very pale pink. All of the pictures were stenciled on then hand painted. All in all it took me close to six months to finish this piece working only one day a week (that is the only time this ceramic club is open).

And I finished.


 There are six sides to this pot so I have shown all sides to get an idea. (I forgot to drill holes in the bottom, so she is going to have to have a pot for the flowers or plant and then have it drain into the inside of this pot.


 I trimmed the top with a grass green and on the inside of the pot I used crystallites so there are burst of white.

I am a bit disappointed with how pink the outside is, but it still looks good, and I think my friend should like it.

Then, there are the hand painted dishes. This project took me a total year going to another ceramic group where I went about 2 days a week to work on this.


My set of pasta dishes were painted on greenware instead of bisque (what has been fired in the kiln).

Each vegetable was given three coats of paint, and each letter was painstakingly given three coats of black paint. The first coat was the hardest because I could not go out of the line and my hand had to be very steady.

I must say, I am please with the finished product. I was going to make a setting of 12, but I finished 6 with a 7th as a mistake but usable. Plus, I did the large serving bowl.

After each plate was painted, it was then fired to make bisque. Then I applied the glaze so it can be used for food. The instructor said they are dishwasher safe, but still, a chip could occur, so hand washing is recommended.

Not bad! I am very pleased.

Then, I completed a few mugs.





My one nephew has a bicycle and shoe shop on Hilton Head Island in S. Carolina, so I made both him and his wife a mug with the logo on it and their name on the back. 











Then, another nephew wanted a mug with Naked Ladies on it. Well, as you can see, I made sure he has plenty of Naked Ladies on his mug! He should get a chuckle out of this.









All in all, I am very pleased with my end products, but everything is for someone else. This next year, it's going to be all about me. There are some ceramic pieces I want. I have this ledge in my living room, and I think it needs some colorful birds and fish on the ledge.

Pink flamingos would be cool, and I need to replace many other birds with color!

I am so close to being finished with my stain glass car that I can taste it. I have been working on it all week, and it is now soldered. I am going to finish it up Friday, so next week I will share that project with you. It was another all year project. One that was also accompanied with glass cuts and solder burns!

Until tomorrow...have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment