Wednesday, November 16, 2016

A 50 Year Slumber Party!

A few weeks ago, there were four friends who came to visit me. We planned it -- two came by plane from Illinois, and two came by car from other parts of Florida. We had a slumber party!

I would show you pictures of slumbering but I think they would not be too happy with me, so, tomorrow, instead, I will show you the five of us when we went to the Hot Spot to blow glass.

What a time we had! Earlier in the year, the class of 1966 celebrated our 50th class reunion. I could not attend because I was traveling (to Seattle and Alaska), but I did the next best thing -- had a mini reunion. We talked and laughed and ate the entire time. And then we talked and laughed and ate some more.
We also tried to figure out technology. Out of the 5 of us, 4 are semi techis. The final one can not figure anything out, so we just tell her what we have found and then if she wants more, we tell her husband. It works.

Three of the semi techis are pictured here (and I am taking the picture).

We don't look too bad for graduating high school some 50 years ago. What's age, anyway? Just a number. I have heard that people look at you differently when you turn 70 so I thought I would be 67 for about 4 years. It's no one's business what my age is anyway, as long as I can go with the best of them. That is all that counts.

Really, we did very little except talk, laugh and eat. Friday we went to St. Petersburg and walked around the art district before our night hot glass class. I could get hooked on this art form.The art district is one place that I need to revisit. It is so cool with the artisans wares being sold in the many shops that line the streets. We ate at the Acropolis Greek Taverna on Central Avenue, and I was so impressed with the food. I would eat there over and over, and try different dishes each time.  Of course we had Saganaki. It wouldn't be going to a Greek restaurant without ordering the flaming cheese!

Saturday we didn't dress until it was time to go to dinner and then we stayed closer to where I live and ate at Circles in Apollo Beach. (The best of food and atmosphere) We sat inside and right outside sat four girls having dinner together. Through the glass windows we communicated with the girls as they kept leaving their table to look at the sunset -- we were watching their purses for them. When it was time for the girls to leave, we waved goodbye and then they came inside and we chatted. They were having a reunion of their own and they loved the idea of the Hot Spot in St. Pete. They couldn't get over that we were still friends after so many years. Yes, it does happen. Sometimes people do not leave, or if they do, they come back.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment