Wednesday, November 30, 2016

San Diego, Part 1

San Diego. I've always heard it has the best climate in the U.S., and I must admit, it was pretty nice. The temperature was a moderate 75 with cooler nights, the kind of nights for a lightweight jacket or sweater. The sun shone and the smiles flashed. What a week!

My friend, Mark, a 40 + year transplant to San Diego, picked me up at the airport, and we were off with conversations about San Diego and what I wanted to see. After he dropped me off at my hotel, I settled in for the night and the stay. He was to pick me up at 10 a.m. the next morning. And I wanted to get some rest from a day of traveling and to ready for the next day.

I really had few expectations --  just had a list of to-sees, and the anticipation of a week of wonder.

First on Mark's list of what I needed to see was Point Loma. High on a hill overlooking San Diego is a statue of Cabrillo, the Portuguese-born navigator who found what is now San Diego (Spanish for Saint Didacus) in 1542 and claimed it for the Spanish empire.

Also close to this site is a lighthouse overlooking the ocean, so if you are into exploring lighthouses around this great country, plan to visit this one.

What was neat was the trip to Point Loma -- overlooking the ocean and the bay, on both sides of the road were rows and rows of tombstones. It was a national cemetery and it reached so far and so wide, I was mesmerized by the number of stones that seemed to be one with the sea.


I asked Mark who was buried there, and he explained that any one who served in the armed forces could be buried there. What a nice view!

The second stop for the day was at LaJolla Cove where people from all over the world stop and watch the seals and sea lions bask in the sun.


The coastline is comprised of a jagged shore where waves slap the stones and coil back for everyone to see the majesty of the sea as the waves rise in triumph.

The city has recognized the beauty of this area and has provided many benches where people can simply sit and enjoy the scenery and the people who are there to admire the coastline.

Along with the coastline, the seals, and the sea lions and birds, we watched people surf and some who braved the cold waters to tell everyone they swam in the waters of  LaJolla. There was a very small beach area that was designated for children, but on this fall day, the seals hid in the corners, basking away.

Mark also took me for a drive around LaJolla, and what I could not get over was there was a lot of building and yet not an inch of ground left. He told me that even a small condo would start at $1 million. Too much for my pocket book. And there was no ground. Seriously.

The third stop for my first day was Mt. Soledad, which is basically a tribute to the armed forces and the servicemen and women who have died defending our country.



If you look closely around the edges of the perimeter, you will see pictures of service men and women who have died defending our country. It is quite something to see, and it also extends far and wide with hundreds if not thousands of pictures. (Sorry about the shadows, but it was simply that time of day).

Story about this site. Mark told me that it was previously owned by someone (can't remember the entire story), and the atheists insisted that the cross be removed. What a pity for our right to free speech! I thought this country was for all, not a select group to have their say. But, the owner solved the problem by giving the land with the cross to the veterans organization, and today everyone can enjoy and give tribute to our armed forces and the men and women who serve our country. Smart owner!

It was a great day and I returned to my hotel room by 6 p.m. to ready for the next day. Tomorrow, I am going to take you to Balboa Park, a harbor cruise, and the San Diego Zoo with the panda bears.

Until then...have a great day...





No comments:

Post a Comment