Wednesday, November 2, 2016

How to Stuff a Pillow

I was traveling and saw this pillow cover that would be perfect for my house. But it was just a cover. And, I bought it. Actually, I bought two covers.

Once I was home, I took a good look at the pillows I had around the house and discovered none of my pillows fit my new pillow covers. Now what was I going to do without spending a fortune. I believe the pillow covers cost about $10 each. So, I went shopping at discount stores. I had the measurements for the pillow covers and decided to buy a pillow about the same size. I did find 2 pillows for $3 each at the discount store. Then, I went to Michael's and bought pillow stuffing for about $12 (it was good for the two pillows). So, I have $19 in each pillow. Not bad considering how much pillows cost today.


This is what I started with -- a cheap pillow, the pillow cover I wanted to use and the pillow stuffing.

At first, I thought I could just stuff the stuffing inside the pillow. No. Not unless you want a lumpy pillow. There is a right way to stuff a pillow to give you the professional look and feel.

I found this out through my handi woman, Ruthi. She is a gem and knows just about everything and how to do it.


 The first thing to do is to make sure the stuffing is flat and you are going to lay it flat against the pillow inside the cover. You are not going to tear any of the stuffing apart at this point.

Continue to do so until you have a nice layer inside the cover.

See how it looks, then proceed until you have the desired fluff you are looking for.

At this point you need to look at the sides and the corners.

If there are any gaps on the side, continue to lay flat stuffing along the sides.



Corners tell another story.

If the corners are flat, that can not be, so now take a part of the stuffing (here you can make the pieces smaller) and stuff into the corners.

Always work the stuffing so it has a nice smooth layer and look.



Notice how the pillow, at this point, is wrinkled and not looking full at this point. Time for more stuffing, but we know where to put it. We need more stuffing on the bottom sides and the bottom corners.



Notice the difference. It looks good and there are no lumps. No one would know this pillow was hand packed to look professional.

We continued with the next pillow, and walla, I have two new pillows.



Not only two new pillows, but these are covers with zippers, so when they get dirty, I can make them new again...

Until tomorrow...have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment