Thursday, November 3, 2016

Getting Ready to Update my Master Bath

I did not want to spend an arm and leg on my master bath, but I did want to update it. I decided to have the vanity painted (my niece first painted it with chalk paint, but after living with it for months, it was not enough, and I knew that I would either have to give it a coat of wax again or do something else. I decided on the something else.

Besides the painted vanity, I ordered a new countertop and faucet, then the big ticket item was the seamless shower door. But first, I had to get ready. So, what did I do? I wanted to see how the colors I selected would look.

What I did do was to paint a magazine rack I picked up at the St. Vincent de Paul's resale shop for $3.


It was in good shape, so I wiped it clean and lightly sanded it. I was going to chalk paint it the same color the vanity was painted.




I had the Annie Sloan brand on hand (left from the vanity that was previously painted with Louis Blue chalk paint). Working with chalk paint is just so easy to use. It hides all the blemishes with using different techniques, but with this piece there were no blemishes, so I was good to go.

I decided to let it sit for a few days (I had the time waiting for all my orders to come in and for the workmen to schedule the time).

After living with it a few days, I decided it was too dull. I wanted the magazine rack to stand out a bit.

I decided to paint the top and the 4 end spindles (2 at each end) with the same royal blue color I was going to have the vanity painted. A pop of color.

I went ahead and applied MinWax Polycrylic (clear semi-gloss) to the bottom and the spindles (except for the end 4) so I would have a finish on the magazine rack. I opted not to use the wax suggested to use with chalk paint because for it to be efficient you really need to reapply the wax every six months, and face it, I am a bit lazy. Once I have a project completed, I do not want to keep going back to it. Besides, with the Min Wax, depending on how many coats you put on, you can have it as dull or as shiny as you want.

By now, Ruthi, my handi woman, was painting the vanity. (Bathroom story to be featured next Wednesday and Thursday.} So, I had her paint the top of the magazine rack. We found out that the paint I selected ran, so there was no way I could have the four spindles painted the royal blue.

After the royal blue was dry, I then waxed the four spindles that I had not waxed before.




I now have a magazine rack for the bathroom that has a pop of color and only cost me $3 and some paint that was sitting around the house.

Not a bad deal!








I always say, first see what is around the house to repurpose, and if there is nothing to fit your liking, go to the consignment stores, then to the discount stores and make a piece your own with a bit of paint, glue, imagination and elbow grease.





Until next week...have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment