Wednesday, July 20, 2016

I Have the Darndest Time with Furniture

I am not really a shopper, but I can tell you I go through chairs, sofas and mattresses more than I go through clothes.

When I moved to Florida, I got new "big" furniture -- sofa, mattress, and chairs. Out of the sofa, mattress and chairs, the only piece of furniture that is comfortable is my sofa. That is it. After a short period of time, the mattress started to sag in the middle (I am talking less than a year), so I bought a foam topper for it. Now, I need to replace it after a year or so of use.

The original chairs that I bought turned out to be too low. You would think that I would have learned from that, but sometimes it takes me many tries to learn my lessons. This past winter I bought a recliner and it fit great, felt great in the show room, but once home, once again, it is too low.



But the sofa was just right. This is the sofa (notice the lower back of the sofa, it rolls forward while the top of the sofa angles back). What I have found great about the sofa is the back part and the seat cushions can be moved to give support on who you are and how you sit. Actually, I love this sofa and would rebuy it. And everyone who sits on it agrees, and when my great-nephew visits, he wants to sleep on it. It is cushy as well as firm. Very important.





I liked the chair, and I fit well in it, but it is just a bit too low for me. Through the years, I have found that I like to sit straight up in a chair, and this chair does let me do that. So, what have I learned? My sofa is 18 1/2 inches from the floor to the top of the cushion. I am comfortable with this measurement. It is easy to sit down and easy to get up. Both the chair and the new recliner are 16 inches from the floor to the top of the cushion. I never would have thought that those two little inches make a difference, but they do.

I love cushy seats, you know, the kind you sink into and don't want to get out of. But, that's just it, I have to work at getting out of the. Too cushy. Those I can eliminate at the showroom, but I do love them.

Then, there is the leg part -- I am short and my legs are proportional to my height, which means that my leg from the knee to the hip is short; therefore, the depth of the chair can not be deep. It's when your knee to hip is long you need a deep seated chair.

So much to think about and learn just to buy a chair.

Then, there is the back. When Al was with me, he was a big and tall guy, so we had different furniture for both of us. It was his torso that was long, so we had to look at the back of the chair -- it had to support his shoulder blades. When I sat in his chair, my shoulder blades hit the middle of the chair! Actually, the best fit is to have the back 3 inches higher than your shoulder blades.

Then, there is the decision to have arms on the piece of furniture -- of course for me. And the arms need to feel right, which is when I sit in the chair or sofa, does my elbow and lower arm feel comfortable on the arm rest.




And pillows, don't forget the pillows. Yea or nay.

For me, a nay unless it is a back support, which I use a lot. But, I know many people who love their pillows, so it is a personal choice.






All of these considerations are so important to feel comfortable in a chair or sofa. The other small tidbit is that when you select the right size chair or sofa for you, you don't have to keep buying them. I know soon I will be on the prowl for another chair, but believe me, I'm going with my tape measure and take my time until it is just right. And then I will never have to spend another cent on a chair. My work will be done.

Tomorrow will be all about the mattress.

Until then...have a great day...











No comments:

Post a Comment