Thursday, July 14, 2016

One Last Word about Volunteering Abroad

I have known many people who have volunteered abroad through their church, helping medically or building houses. I know of another family who travels to Guatemala to help build houses. I know one woman who has started an outreach program in Africa and empowers girls and women to learn technology or start their own business. I know some people who have gone abroad to teach English, but those are paid positions.

There are now the gap year, international internships, summer projects, family projects, high schoolers, summer help, 50+ers, working professionals, and group trips. I have heard of one university that requires students to spend one semester abroad helping others. Also, I have found that there are some companies that allow time off for their personnel to volunteer (check with your human resources department for this, I am sure it is not widely publicized). And. of course, there are those who study abroad whether at the high school or college level.

My search was focused on teaching English because that is where my experience lies -- shoot, I am a writer and a former English (composition) teacher. I have also started a blog on idioms and cliches, put it aside and going to resurrect it next month (after the Alaska trip). I have also tutored Spanish speaking people as they enter our country. I can do this job, would love to do this job. And I will prepare for this by taking the TEFL certification course.

But, could I do other jobs?

There is child development where I would go into child care centers or daycares and help those children who have been abused, abandoned, or who are vulnerable.

I think this would be too heartwrenching for me. I would end up tearing up most of the day.

There is also girls and women empowerment projects.


There is the health field abroad, and if I wanted to do this I would not have to be in the medical professions; rather, I would work alongside the health professionals. There is also an HIV/AIDS program to help destigmatize the disease as well as provide support for those who suffer with the disease.

Still working with people, I could help those who have special needs, and I can imagine there is a huge need here because people with special needs are discriminated against. I know that in some cultures, when I child is born deformed they are basically abandoned. Which means that those children have felt few hugs in their lives, let alone any other human contact or experiencing daily living skills.

Helping the elderly is also a huge project in some parts of the world, especially the third world countries. Here I would help serve meals or partake in activities with them.


Then, there are marine and wildlife conservation. There are tons of projects here, from rescuing animals to caring for them after the rescue.

Along these lines there are environment and conservation projects when you like to get your hands dirty and work with the earth.

Don't forget the building projects.


There are arts and music projects and sports, community development and fundraising and grant writing and teaching technology. You name it, there is a project to volunteer for.

I have only skimmed the surface of this vast field to help others around the world.

When I was doing my initial search of how to help, I did come across one other project that I would be interested in -- volunteers go to restaurants and get leftover food and then come back to a site and store it to be given away. Kinda like a food pantry here.

Am I going to do this? A BIG FAT YES! Next year I plan to go to Ireland and while I have paid for the ticket to go there, I might as well go somewhere on the other side of earth and get my feet wet. And yes, I will go to Laos to teach the novice monks, and while I am in that part of the world, I might as well teach in China for awhile. That flight is so long, I would definitely stay for more than a couple of weeks. Problem is, if I really like this lifestyle, I may never want to live a "normal" life again. Whatever "normal" is.

It looks like my life continues to evolve. I love it.


Until tomorrow...have a great day...

p.s. -- all photos are from Pixabay.

No comments:

Post a Comment