Thursday, July 21, 2016

Mattresses

I have had every type of mattress available during my lifetime. There was one year when I had three mattresses. I worked with one of the dealers who finally gave in and said he had one for me that was by far the best. He was going out of business so I got it for my original cost, and he was right. It was a great bed. It's just too bad mattresses don't last a lifetime.

Today, there is the memory foam, waterbed, innerspring, pillow top, gel, air, and hybrid. But before we get into the types and my experiences with them, let me back up about a thousand years. This "bed" thing is really a new concept.

One holiday my family and I were hiking trails on Hilton Head Island in S. Carolina, and while there we learned that way back, people slept on the needles and moss found in trees. Ouch!. Looking back, the Romans stuffed hay, wood or feathers around cloth and that was their bed. As well as the bugs and varmints. We complain about bedbugs, but guess what folks, all sorts of bugs have been around as long as we have slept. I remember being in England one summer, and we were touring the Dover Castle and it was explained that this castle was a look out point for invaders, and the soldiers slept on the hay with their horses, and probably cows and dogs and any other animal there. Really, in the course of history, it wasn't that long ago.

It wasn't until 1865 when the first coil spring was introduced, then in the 1930s innersprings and upholstered foundation made its way into society. That is not even 100 years ago.

Probably, the most common bed bought is the innerspring mattress -- the more coils the mattress has, the more support it is going to give your body. Here is a picture of an innerspring with a pillow top.

I have had these types, both with the pillow top and not. Unless if you pay a heap, my medium of the road bed lasted a few good years. That is what I have now, and after only two years, I am looking for another bed.

That best bed ever I mentioned was a pillow top, and then on top of that I but a feather bed, and believe me, I wanted to stay in the bed. I would imagine I had a top of the line bed from the man who was going out of business.

Then, there is a hybrid -- a mattress with both coils and foam. Haven't tried one of these, so I can't give a first hand account.


Then, comes the foam. Ahhh, memory foam. I had one of these in Illinois, and believe me, it was worth the few extra dollars. Once again, I got the medium of the road, but one of my co-workers splurged on the top of the line, and she loved it. What is great about this mattress is the foam contours to your body, and when you sleep it helps reduce the pressure points. I would buy another memory foam mattress.

I do use latex foam as a topper to some of my beds as they age. It gives me a couple more years of use.


I have had a waterbed when it was all the rage, but after years of rocking and rolling, I wanted more support when I slept, but I did enjoy the mattress when I had it. I guess now they have waveless waterbeds.

I have an air mattress for my extra guests. Actually, they are not that bad. I slept on my air mattress for three weeks when I first moved to Florida while I waited for furniture.



And now I am looking at a sleep number bed. Oh my!














I have no idea the final cost of this type of bed, but as I read the brochure (these pictures are from the booklet I sent for from the company), this bed comes with everything. Of course, the bed on the left is more traditional, but take a look at the one on the right. This bed has an adjustable base where you can raise both the head and the legs. I could have a massage in bed and it has a timer! Hello. You know how much I love massages. It says I can float like zero gravity and if I want to read in bed there is a night light.Then, with a remote and a timer, I can return to my favorite sleeping position (you know, when I fall asleep reading). Problem with this bed, I may not want to get out of bed. Kinda like that first wonder bed.

I need to find one of these showrooms and lay for awhile. Actually, I have an idea for the mattress business, if they really want us to have an experience, they should throw slumber parties for us serious customers to try out the beds. Kinda like a musical chair thing, only it's musical beds.

We have come a long way, and in recent history, I have tried most every bed out there. I can say, I should have spent the extra money when I moved here and got the best of bed because my lower back is killing me, even with the foam topper. My guests say the guest mattress is comfortable, so that is good. And, I'm sorry, but this girl has to have her beauty sleep. So, I know that expense is coming.

Until tomorrow...have a great day...

No comments:

Post a Comment