Friday, July 8, 2016

Writers, Actors, what do they really want?

I've thought a lot about yesterday's post -- people in the movie industry selling themselves as a product vs. the ones who are not selling themselves as a product. I then wonder about writers.

Writers work in solitude, sometimes fretting for hours or days or weeks about the next sentence, the next scene. Long ago, in Johnny Carson days, writers did come on the show and they interacted with the other guests. I do remember seeing Jacqueline Susann ("Valley of the Dolls"), Truman Capote ("In Cold Blood"), and Irving Wallace ("The Prize") to name a few. Once again, the audience was able to see the personality instead of the product (although I am sure that there was some sort of pitch for the best-seller of the day). I do not recall recent talk shows, especially day time talk shows, introducing writers, even best selling writers. The hosts may mention a book, but how many authors have you seen on television?

Community actors, professional stage actors, writers do not produce for fame (well, maybe some do), they act or write because they need to -- they need to express themselves in one way or another. Actually, most writers do not like to give interviews unless they need to. Very few want to be seen on national tv., they want a private life (I am thinking of Harper Lee and Stephen King here) I am sure the same holds true for community actors and professional actors. We want someone (our audience) to see our work, to read our work, to react to our work. That is our fame. That is our glory. Not the 15 minutes of fame.

Have you ever read a book that was so good you told everyone about it and passed around your copy? Have you ever seen a play that was so good you told everyone to go see it?

That is our glory. At least, I can say that.

Thinking back to Matthew McConaughey on The Talk, most of his work, his acting is a cut above. I wonder how he feels to have to go out there and plug a movie for a minute then be cut off. I know if I had to plug a book, I would want people to ask me about my story, where did it come from, how much of it is real, is it a part of me, what was my purpose? The questions are endless. I would want to give my audience substance.

Simple thoughts to ponder.

Until Monday...have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment