Friday, May 6, 2016

What Is Age?

I went to stain glass today (still attempting to cut out the pieces of glass for the car) and while there a seasoned glass art person came in with her husband. She and her husband just dropped by, did not intend to work on any pieces.

During the conversation, she came over and looked at my design, and was please with my final drawing. She is the person who guided me to make the car bigger telling me it will be easier to work with the glass pieces if they are bigger. (I worked on the design of the car for 4 months, so I am thrilled that I can now cut out the pieces of glass, although I have already broke a few of the pieces and had to start over). She took the picture of the car to her husband and asked if he knew what car it was by the picture. He knew it to be an Opal. Right!

And that started the "real" conversation. Today is their 49th anniversary, and I asked them how they were going to celebrate. Luncheons, and dinners, and 3 nights on the beach in St. Pete, then they were going to Matlacha, Florida to Leoma Lovegrove's artist gallery. I had not heard of the artist and asked about her. Apparently, she has teamed with Beall's (a department store in Florida) and she makes the funky designs.

They started telling me about her studio and how she paints while she talks with you, and you are wondering what she is painting, and then, lo, behold, it's an eagle, or flamingo, or...

Then they started telling me about the artist -- that she was about our age (retirement age) but painted like a teenager. I have no clue what that means, maybe has to do with the energy level. And she dresses like a young person and bounces like a young person.

I don't know about you, but all I can say is good for Leoma. I'm working on my energy level. I would like to think I dress like a young person, and with all the exercising I am doing, I can do a half bounce like a young person. Anyway, what is age? It's just a number.

I do know that since moving here I do understand that most of these "active" people do not age. Maybe the number goes up, but that is about it. They are in their 80s and 90s, and going strong. Surely stronger than those who sit in front of the tv every day, day in and day out. I had a stepfather who did that in his 60s and 70s, and he just couldn't move that quick. There's one lady in my neighborhood that is in her mid-90s, and every year she goes on a 3-month cruise then comes back and tends to her garden. Another lady just turned 90 and she is out every morning at 9 and volunteers all day and returns home by 7 pm. Now, that's spunk.

And me. I don't know but every day that I am here, I think I am getting younger. I wanna go, go, go, and I do. I feel alive, and maybe that is what age is. It's not the number, it's the aliveness a person feels. So, go Leoma, and go me! Age is just a number, that's it. That's all it is.

I will go to Leoma's gallery and report back when I do. It should be fun.

Have a great weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment