Friday, June 17, 2016

Back to Writing Next Week

My week break is over. It is time to get back to work as a writer. Yes, I know this blog qualifies, but I have loftier plans -- you know, more blogs, books, short stories, historical fiction -- my brain and imagination is on overtime. Gotta, gotta, gotta -- I am obsessed.

So, what's in store. First and foremost is the collection of short stories. The last story is to the editor and once I get it back from her, I will send it to my readers. My editor is great, brought to light my weakness, which is I write in the future past, i.e., I like to use "would" instead of the a simple past tense verb. Such as, I knew I would have finished the story by the end of the week. Simple past is I finished the story by Friday. Bad example, but I just like to use "would", so after I write all my "woulds" I go through and rewrite.

I think of Hemingway's line as I write, "Write the truest sentence that you know." I'm trying, Ernest, I'm trying.

The readers are great because I get insight to how the reader perceives the story. My readers have seen five of the nine stories so far. There is only one of those five which has one scene that needs to be explained more. So, I say, good job Mary. Of course, there are minor quirks and corrections that need to be made, like to call a thoroughfare without a sidewalk a street or avenue or road or lane. Understand that. Can't wait to hear what they say about the last four stories.

Once I have all the stories back from the editor and the readers, I go back to work and make all the necessary corrections and rewrites.

In between time, though, I can research the publishing houses. I do believe I have it narrowed to Amazon or LuLu. But I need to do a complete search to select the correct one.

In between time, I can compile the stories on how I want to introduce them to the public. After this is complete, I am going to use one more editor to go over everything as it will be presented to the public. I am going to use a person I met through my writer's group, and she has experience at publishing, so she should be a big help.

That's the collection of short stories that are written.

Then, I am going to start the next project by giving one afternoon a week to writing an outline of 12 books that are going be a series. I will start with a brief synopsis to each book, and once the collection of shorts is published, I will focus on the first in the series.

On another hand, I have started listening to stories I am going to put together about soldiers. Another collection of short stories.

And I want to start going through my paternal side's genealogy so I can write that history. It would be a dry run for the business I am considering of being a personal historian. If I enjoy that type of writing, I will do two others, one for a friend, another for a business. Then, I will advertise. All takes time.

And I am going back to the other blog on wordpress about the crazy words we use in the English language. I hope it will help the foreign speakers learn some of our phrases and cliches and idioms. That will happen the middle of August. That is a given. I am going back to it because on that blog I received a comment from someone who lives out of the U.S. and he said he liked it and wanted more. Thank you and you will get more.

Next time I look up, I should have the first draft of book 1 of  the series finished. Hey, I am on a roll. My dream....

Until Monday...may you follow your dreams, whatever they may be...have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment