Thursday, June 23, 2016

Bucket List -- See the US of A

I have a ton of bucket lists, so many that I wonder if I will get the majority of them completed by the end of my days. I have bucket lists of crafts that I want to attempt to make, tons of stories to write and take to the public, lists of places to see around the world and the good 'ole US of A. 

There are just some things we always remember from childhood, and my mom taking us girls on trips is one of those. We didn't go far, we didn't go for long, and most of the time it was to see someone or to go with one of her sisters, but we went. The very first trip I remember was to the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. That was in 1957, and I remember meeting and talking with interesting people as well as having fun. The next trip I remember was to Mammoth Caves in Kentucky. I thought the inside of those caves were the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life. 

That is how I started my yearning to see the world -- to meet the people, have fun and see things I never knew existed. And I have been able to do those things in bits and spurts throughout my years, getting to go to Europe once and England three times. And I have been to 28 of our 50 states. 

I want to finish seeing our states. And I want to go back to others where I want to see specific locations or history. There are some states I never need to go back to like Mississippi, but I wouldn't mind stopping in Oxford to visit William Faulkner's home. I could do that as an overnight trip on my way to somewhere else. It's the same as in my home state of Illinois. I know that state fairly well, but there is always something to do in Chicago, and I have never been to Frank Lloyd Wright's home in Oak Park. An afternoon trip when I go back to that part of the country. The same goes to Kentucky -- I have been to Louisville a number of times, Lexington, and a number of small towns like Franklin or Paducah or Bowling Green or Kentucky Lakes. But I have never toured the bourbon trail, and I could do that one day while I am traveling through the state.

There is just so much to do in the US of A. So much.

This year on the list is Seattle, Washington. Never been there, and I bet it is another place where I will need more than one time to see the state. Going to Alaska, and that will be a one shot deal. I should also see many parts of the state but not the northern parts. Then, a trip to San Diego is planned. Yes, I have been to California, but it is a very big state and I have taken it in spurts. I have been to the Los Angeles area (never need to go back there), San Francisco (iffy, but I saw enough) and the surrounding area such as Napa and Sonoma. But, I really want to drive Highway 1 in California. Another day. And I want to see Carmel-By-the-Sea. I have the name of a small hotel that is owned by Doris Day's son, and I want to stay there. But, this year it is San Diego and I have never been there. So, I am excited for these upcoming trips.

I don't have a lot of money to go all the time, but I do travel wisely. I joined a travel club where I get really good hotel rates, and when I fly, I use miles as much as I can. So, for instance, the San Diego trip is costing me a little over $800 for 8 days. Good rates on the hotel, only taxes for the plane (sign up for those frequent miles), and I am not a shopper, so the only money I expect to spend is entrance fees and food. Maybe a trinket to remember San Diego, but then that is what pictures are for. And they last longer. 

You really do not need to spend a lot of money traveling, and if you are younger, less than that because now there are BNB's and Y's and campus dormrooms off season. Then there is always camping. Me, I can't do that any longer. This body has changed in the fact that I can't sleep on the ground or floor like I used to be able to do. But it is not going to stop me. 

So, this year there will be two more states added to my US of A list -- Washington and Alaska. Wonder where next year will take me. But, then, I still need to explore Florida with all its corners and watering holes. Love Florida. Love the sunshine and the sunsets.



Until tomorrow...have a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment