Monday, June 27, 2016

Benefits of Dark Chocolate

I love chocolate, especially dark chocolate. I liked dark chocolate before I knew the benefits and it was all the rage, so it is no wonder I want to write about it.

It is good for you if you are a chocoholic like I am. I only wish I knew where to buy the really good stuff. I do buy Godiva chocolates, but I know there are better chocolates than that. Maybe I need to go to Belgium or Switzerland or France. Aren't they the countries known for their chocolate. France is also known for its wine, so I would be in hog heaven. Wine AND chocolate. What else would I need? Maybe there should be a chocolate world tour -- the best of chocolates around the world. Let's make it a walking tour if we are going to be eating all that chocolate. Guilt be gone with the walking...

So, what's the difference? First, I will get white chocolate out of the mix because it is not made from cocoa solids. It is made with cocoa butter, milk and sugar. It is the sweetest of the three chocolates.



Milk chocolate is made with cocoa solids, cocoa butter, sugar and cream.

Dark chocolate is made with cocoa solids, cocoa butter and sugar. No cream (hence, not as creamy).
Also, the more cocoa it has in it, the less sugar it has (hence, more bitter).



Milk chocolate does have benefits -- it is less in calories than dark chocolate and it has more calcium.

On the other hand, dark chocolate has less sugar (especially the higher the percentage of cocoa the less sugar) and has more iron and fiber. It has fewer carbs. And it has more magnesium, phospherus and potassium. It also has zinc, so maybe I should take some chocolate next time I feel a cold coming on instead of the zinc lozengers!

It also has lots of caffeine, so be warned if you eat dark chocolate before retiring for the night.






I looked at different brands of dark chocolate. I have some Lindt's dark chocolate truffles in the house, and after looking at the ingredients, I don't think I will buy them any longer. Because of the filling, there is cream, vegetable oil, and artificial flavors to name a few of the ingredients. I should look for the Lindt dark chocolate bars, especially the 90% bars, which means more cocoa, less sugar. I like the bitter taste, also. It helps with my chocolate desire.

Lindt 90% dark chocolate is made with chocolate, cocoa butter, cocoa powder processed with alkalies, sugar, and bourbon vanilla beans (from their website).




I am still looking for the purest I can find. So, I went back to Godiva.




Godiva is made with cocoa liquor, cocoa butter and sugar. According to their website, the cocoa liquor is made from the cocoa bean.

This dark chocolate shown is 50%, but it also comes in 72% and 90%. I am sure the other brands come in these percentages also.

So, what is a girl to do? It looks like I'm going back to Godiva for the moment.







Does anyone know any other dark chocolate that is pure? I would love to taste it. I know it exists, I just haven't found it. Please share with me if you know and how I can acquire some. Website?

Last Monday it was wine, this Monday it's chocolate. Maybe I should throw in a few strawberries, and I will have a night of it.

Until tomorrow...have a great day.










No comments:

Post a Comment