Friday, June 3, 2016

What's Next With the Book

This is the weekend I will complete the book of short stories. So, what's next?

The last short story will be sent to my first editor for review. After I have her suggestions and edits, I will make the necessary corrections, then send the last two shorts to my readers.

They give me further insight into how well the story will be received by the public reader. One of my readers, a ferocious reader, helped me understand that I could have done better with one part of one of my stories. After a three hour phone conversation, talking about the story and my intentions of the story, I saw how I was going to change that one part of the story. It's one part, a couple of paragraphs, but I do believe it will be better, give the reader more of an insight into a behavior (it is also important because from this story I will expand the character into a series of books).

After I receive the comments from the readers, I will make the corrections, change parts (such as that mentioned above) and self-edit.

After that is completed, I will compile the pages in a notebook exactly how I want the stories introduced to the reader.

Then, it will go to one final person who will look at the finished product one last time before I start the publishing process.

As a former journalist and editor, I know the process and how important it is to have many eyes look at the writings. I am putting my work before the public and I want it to be the best, not have a single flaw or misspelled word. I do not want my readers to be distracted from the story; I want it to be professional in all senses. If I was going the traditional way of publishing by having the book published by a publishing house, this would all be done for me by the house. Since I am going INDIE, I need to make sure that all the steps are completed.

And that is just the beginning.

Until Monday...have a great weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment