Monday, June 20, 2016

Wine

We've heard it for a long time now, red wine is healthy for our hearts. Why?

It has to do with the resveratrol found in the grapes/berries that the red wine is made from. This resveratrol or antioxidant property helps to dilate arteries and increases blood flow. Therefore, it helps the heart against attack and strokes.

But, wait, wine is good for a number of other symptoms -- reduces the risk of Type II diabetes, helps with depression and overall mental health, has been proven to increase our lifespan, helps with osteoporosis, and because of the antioxidant factor, helps with a number of cancers, such as breast, prostate, liver, oral, and colon. Also helps cut the risks of cataracts.

No wonder this beverage has been around forever. I would say the Europeans have it right. Many have wine at the dinner table. As long as you drink the vino in moderation, i.e., about 4-8 ounces a day, you also get a better night's sleep.

So, what about the white wine and the rose?

White wine is made from white grapes, and although the white wine does not protect your heart like the red wine, it is being studied more and researchers are finding that white wine has resveratrol, antioxidants, too. It's just that white wine is fermented differently which gives the antioxidants a different value. I would keep an eye out for that article!


Rose is made from the purple grape, which is the same grape as the red wine, so I would think that rose is similar to the red wine. But not as much. What happens in the processing of  rose wine (and white wine, too) is the skin from the grape is taken away faster than when making red wine. With red wine, the skin is left on as the grape is fermented.

To sum it up, red wine is fermented in its grape skin which helps with the heart; rose wine uses the same grape as the red wine but the skin is taken off; and the white wine is made from white grapes and its skin is taken off. I'm sure there is a lot more involved, but that is a very condensed form.

Personally, I prefer white or rose, and my wine of choice at this moment is Moscato, which is a sweet wine, almost what you would serve as a dessert wine. I used to be a Chadonnay or Chablis drinker, but my taste buds have changed. I just wish I could find a good red wine that is not so bold. I have tried a few, but to date I have not found one that goes with my palate.

And since the glass of rose is poured, I might as well go and enjoy it.

Until tomorrow...have a great day....

No comments:

Post a Comment