Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Projects I Am Working On

Along with the writing, I am currently working on 3 projects: the mosaic picture frame, the stain glass car and the set of pasta bowls. I should finish the mosaic picture frame shortly after the book is complete and to the editor. The set of pasta bowls is ongoing and I expect it will take me most of the year to hand paint each bowl, but I do have two complete, so they are shown below. The other long term project is the stain glass car. I have the glass cut out and I am ready to grind.

Pieces for the mosaic picture frame are pictured here

This plate was made for me when Katie was a child (she is my great niece) and I have kept it all these years. Now, she is graduating high school and she will be off to college in the fall. I found an old picture frame which I painted white (right), and I will break the plate and put the pieces along the rim of the picture frame and she will have something truly unique. (I hope it turns out because I have never worked with mosaics before). Will share the finished piece with you at a later date.


Ongoing is the ceramic pasta bowls. I have painted the colors on the greenware instead of firing the greenware first. This is done so the colors are more vibrant.

Here (to the left) the bowl is while I am painting on the greenware. Then, once all the colors were painted onto the greenware, the bowl was fired (below to the right)








                                            






And here they are with glaze and ready to be gifted. Only six more to go. It took me approximately one month to do these two bowls, so by the time I do six more and then the large pasta bowl, I figure I should be finished late fall.


The final piece I am working on and I expect it to take me the entire year to do is the stain glass car. I have now made the pattern, glued it to the glass, cut the glass and have it ready to grind. To date, this is how it looks:

This is a far cry from what it will look like at the end, but this is part of the process. A long process. And it is a process that is completely foreign to me, so I go slow. Very slow. I was going to start grinding today, but I wasn't in the mood. Hopefully, Friday. I will definitely show this off when it is complete.

Until tomorrow...have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment