Tuesday, February 2, 2016

An Old Chair Made New

Long, long ago my father had a billiard hall, and in that room he had what I term shoe shine chairs (that is probably not the name of the chair, but it is what I called the chair). That chair was in my mother's house forever, and when it was time, I acquired it. Basically, because I wanted it. It was in okay shape, but quite loose, so the following picture is my version of putting it back together.


After I cleaned the chair, I glued all the legs, arms, etc. so the chair would be strong enough to sit on. Had no idea how to hold the pieces together while they dried, so I got out the bungee cords, pulled them until the pieces were tight and clipped them together. Then, I let the chair set 24 hours to dry.

Then, I started painting. Really like the effect of different colors together, so I decided to paint in white, ecru, and turquoise. I wanted to put the chair in the guest bedroom and the walls are a sage green so I figured the turquoise would go well. I followed the same rule of thumb for painting as I did the sofa table made tv table. I painted one color, sanded or wiped, painted another color, sanded or wiped, then added the turquoise and sanded or wiped.





Here is the chair in progress. As you can see, I have already painted the stencil with turquoise. (See below)
Pretty proud of this piece. And it looks awesome in the room. Here is the finished product

I absolutely love all the colors. I still did not know about the other sealant, so I used Annie Sloan dark wax -- that is what gave it the worn look when it was added to all the other colors.

Tomorrow, I will show you the bookshelves I painted white and used a different type of sealant --
miniwax water based polycrylic -- I used clear semi gloss

I found this product through a lot of research because I did not really like the feel of the wax, and through my research many people said they were very pleased along with the process does not have to be reapplied. Like I said, the easier the better.





Until tomorrow ... have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment