Thursday, February 18, 2016

Yellowstone National Park

This past summer I went to visit a friend in Montana, when we traveled in his travel trailer to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. The trip to Montana was fascinating because it was when the forest fires were burning the landscape in Montana, so I was able to see the devastation caused from fire. I had seen it once before when Al and I visited Texas years ago. We were able to go on grounds at Ft. Hood and there we saw what burned trees look like 20 years after the fire. Believe me, it is not pretty.

While on the plane, I sat next to a lady who was in contact with her husband. Their home was in the direct line of the fire and, at that time, was a short distance from their house. He had the truck loaded with personals, and they were ready to leave once the plane landed. She told me that prior to leaving her home, she had packed and moved many of her most precious memories to a safe location, and while she was away, she kept calling her husband with other mementos she wanted to save. She had to leave her home and fly to Michigan because her father had died. Why is it that loss comes in multiples? Her father, her possessions. I wonder if she lost her home.

When I landed, I could smell and see the smoke in the air. Actually, you could smell it half way through the state while we were traveling to Wyoming.

Wyoming. I never had a clue what a wonderful sight Yellowstone National Park would be. I just knew that it was home to many geysers and to many different wild animals, namely buffalo. Was I in for a surprise! It's a place where I could go back over and over because each part of the park is different. We only saw two parts of the park.




There are creeks, trees, trails, and breathtaking landscapes everywhere you turn. At some of the watering holes, you would see men fly fishing. I can imagine that rafting was also a water sport that takes place in a part of the park, although we never saw the rafters.










I had no idea that the grand canyon went through the park.







Geysers were everywhere, but Old Faithful (shown at left) is the most famous, as it goes off every 35 to 90 minutes. So if you miss it the first time, it will erupt again. Patience.


For me, the most spectacular were the buffalo. Everyone stops their car to watch a buffalo cross the road, or even to get a glimpse of one. And there are lots to see.


What I found amazing is when the cars are stopped like this, everyone, every one, respects the animals and we all take a breath to watch the Bison, the Buffalo wander his land.





The biggest thrill I had was when we were the lone car, and we saw a buffalo start to cross the road. We just waited and soon he headed onto the road, then he headed toward the car, then he headed to my side of the car and my window was up, but if my window would have been down, I could have reached out and touched him. He was that close to me! The following photos are of the buffalo coming toward the car.




Definitely, up front and personal!





We were only in the park a few days before we went to Cody, Wyoming, which I will show you tomorrow. On the way back to Montana, we rode through the park  (another part) one last time, and I am so glad because this time we saw a bear and herds of buffalo.



And then my time was over, so I said good bye to this vast park we have in this land of ours.


We traveled back to Montana, and I left the next morning to fly back to Florida with memories of a trip I will never forget.

I hope you enjoyed this part of the trip with me. Tomorrow, Cody, Wyoming.

Until then....have a good day.





No comments:

Post a Comment