Monday, February 1, 2016

Chalk Painting Furniture -- another project

When I moved to Florida, I brought very few pieces of furniture with me, and once I was here I knew I did not want the deep rich brown wood I had "up north", so I decided to paint the wood pieces white. A friend of mine is crafty, like me, and we were talking about the chalk paint thing going on. I said, why not try it. It sounds easy -- no prep (which means sanding) and just paint on and wipe off or sand off until you get the effect you want.

Since I needed a large screen tv, I decided to take a sofa table I brought with me and make it into a tv stand. I painted it white.


I did not realize I wanted a before picture, but this is the after picture. All I did was just what I said above. I cleaned my piece with clear water, and I used rubbing alcohol also to remove any grime. Then, I found a shop that sold Annie Sloan paint and bought both white and cream/ecru. I was not careful where I put it because I did not want it to look formal.

I started with the white and let that dry, then put on ecru and let that dry. Then I sanded off some of the ecru to show the effect I wanted. I sanded, painted white, sanded, painted ecru. Touched here, touched there. Showed some original deep brown wood on the corners and top.

As you can tell by the picture on the right, there are many
colors showing. I have a "new" tv stand with my old sofa
table. I am pleased.

After I painted and sanded and wiped the piece until it was
the way I wanted it to look, I let it dry for a good 24 hours.
Then, I applied Annie Sloan wax. Again, I let it dry for
more than 24 hours this time,

And I was pleased as punch!

I do understand after much research that wax needs to be applied about every 6 months, so that is not going to work
for me. I live by the motto, once done, use it and forget
about it. So, I have found another ingredient I use instead
of the wax. I will tell you about that tomorrow when I show you the chair I did with different colors and stencils.

By the way, these pictures are from my iphone. Still have not
figured out how to get the most recent pictures from the Samsung to the computer. I guess I am going to have to make another phone call or trip to Brandon to get these pictures to this computer. Why or why is all this technology so hard for us who have not grown up with it?

Which brings me to a funny -- I was watching tv and a commercial showed grandchildren going to visit grandparents and as the children were climbing the steps, the grandparents greeted them with two trays of devices and said, "none of these work". How true????

Until tomorrow... have a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment