Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Working with Foundation

Foundation is simply another form of glaze in ceramics, so you can also serve food from a piece that has been covered with foundation. This paint's effect is slightly different from clear glazing as it is not as shiny, and I really like the final fired piece once the it has been coated (3 coats) with the foundation. So far, I know foundation comes in satin or matte, not the high gloss clear glaze that ceramic pieces are usually fired in. I have made three pieces with the foundation.

The first was a plate I made in a class to learn the technique.



When you work with foundation, you paint the foundation first.Then, you paint a design, as shown here as a spider and its web. Then, the piece gets fired.

With clear glaze, you paint before you glaze and then you fire the piece in the kiln.











My second piece was this small vase. I first painted on the foundation. Then traced a bamboo design (not real good with this yet) before painting the design with colors. Then, the piece gets fired. I am going to look for bamboo to place inside this vase which is placed on a shelf in the guest bathroom.







My final piece was made for a Christmas present for my niece. We were at IKEA and she saw a simple pitcher and bowl and commented that she liked it. I thought, "Christmas present to make" and this is the final product.

This was super easy to make. Both pieces were coated with the foundation (3 coats) then I used crystalites oriental carmel over the foundation which changed the color at the top of the pitcher. This picture has been taken looking down, but when you look head on, you see the cream, then the carmel.

She loved it.


Tomorrow, we ladies are taking a road trip to a ceramic shop in Clearwater. This is where you buy the greenware or bisque. Greenware is very fragile and must be cleaned. Bisque has been cleaned and fired the first time, so it is not as fragile. I will report on what I find tomorrow.

Until then....have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment