Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Difference in the Sealers


The two sealers I have used so far, and as far as I know, are the Annie Sloan soft wax (both clear and dark) and the Miniwax water based Polycrylic.

What I have learned of the differences are the soft wax needs to be reapplied after 6 months to protect the furniture and the miniwax does not have to be reapplied. The soft wax has a different finished feel than the polycrylic. So, this would be a personal preference. Personally, I like the smooth, silky finish that polycrylic gives. I did buff and buff the soft wax, and no matter how much I buffed it, it still did not have that "silky" finish touch. Truly, personal preference. And, I am sure there are more products available, but these are the two that I am currently aware of.

Since chalk painting has become so popular there are a number of products besides Annie Sloan. I know Valspar has introduced a chalky type paint, and my friend likes to use the Vintage Market brand chalk paint. I have also seen a product named Fusion in one shop. The difference in this paint is that it gives the same effect as chalk paint but Fusion is mineral base, and you do not have to have a sealer. I did pick up a jar, but have not used that paint yet so I really can not comment. But, it is out there.

You can even make your own chalk paint (I am not going to try that), but you can find tons of recipes on Pinterest. I have pinned one from Anderson + Grant: Take 2 Tablespoons of Plaster of Paris and 1 Tablespoon of water and mix together until all lumps are out. Then add 1 cup of paint (any color) and there it is. Remember that you can go to Lowe's and buy a small jar of paint for next to peanuts instead of having to buy the entire gallon.

The book shelves pictured at the left are painted using the same technique as the updated tv stand except this piece is sealed with the polycrylic. There is no difference in the look; it is the feel of the piece of furniture. (Notice, the newly painted pieces match my white floor -- which I absolutely love).

There is just so much out there to try. I have already painted a bathroom cabinet with blue chalk paint, and I have taken a class where we pearlized the tile. You can gild, pearlize, anything your heart desires. Then, I have seen where Rust-o-leum has paint where you can paint your countertops to give a marbled look. (I am not going to try that either).

But, I am going to try to paint fabric with chalk paint. I bought two small foot rests (50 cents each) and I am going to practice on one, and perfect the other to use. Will share that when I have it completed.

Little by little, my house is being put together. Until tomorrow.... have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment