Friday, March 11, 2016

Guest Bathroom Paint Job

In the beginning, when I moved into the villa, all of the walls were pink, the carpet was pink, and there was floral pink wallpaper in the guest bathroom. The pink had to go. So, the first thing I did was have the walls painted a bland off white, and we ripped up the pink linoleum and I had laminate flooring put down. Wrong! Laminate does not go into the bathroom because the floor will get wet and then the laminate will curl. So, I started over.


The bathroom was small, and I found a handy man that was reasonable in price, and we replaced the toilet and the vanity. Then, the laminate flooring had to go and I replaced that with tiles (that was a bit more expensive). And this is the way it looked before last week. Bland, clear shower curtains and nothing too exciting about the room.

As I mentioned in the beginning of this blog, the painter I initially hired did a horrible job. I decided that the walls needed to be painted again, and the corrections needed to be made so I would not cringe every time I entered the room.

I asked around, and found a woman, Ruth, who is the Handy Woman, and OMG, she is wonderful, reasonable, and has fantastic ideas. Because the bathroom is small, I did not think I could go with a dark color on the walls.



Boy, was I wrong! She convinced me otherwise. What she did was line up the line in the shower curtain and had white that extended into the ceiling, and a very nice cocoa brown for the bottom. It is beautiful. And I am sooo pleased.

I had some wood manatees that I had cleaned, so we put those on the wall, and if you look close at the bottom photo you will see a wood dish (from Hawaii) that I am going to fill with the cool hand made soap when they arrive in the mail. I ordered seven bars of soap from graciepieapothecary.com. I am also finishing up a small ceramic box in ceramic class that will be a sage green and I am going to put a seashell as a pull for the lid of the box. That should be finished next week. And I think I may get an air plant for the shelf where the box will go.

To finish off the room I thought I needed artwork, so I put a ship above the door.




And I decided that since I had two other pictures that would compliment this picture, I would mat them with the same green and frame with similar wood to be place over the towel rack in the bathroom.

The other artwork are pencil sketches I have had for a long time. I once went to this lecture where Joni Eareckson spoke about her diving accident that left her paralyzed. She learned how to etch/draw by using her teeth. They are amazing and I bought two of her pieces. Her work is amazing!


The only other thing I may do to this small bathroom is paint the slats of the closet's shutters the same brown that is on the wall.









I would leave the border white and paint each slat. What do you think? Would it set the room off or simply be too much?









I have this "thing" with bathrooms. The first one I totally remodeled myself was many years ago, and if I still have the pictures I want to show you because I was very innovative with the small space.

Until then....have a good day!





No comments:

Post a Comment