Thursday, March 10, 2016

Painting more than furniture with chalk paint

When I first started using chalk paint, it was only for furniture. But, since then I have learned that it can go on kitchen and bathroom cabinets. It can be as simple or as ornate as what your mind can create. With that in mind, I wanted to paint my bathroom cabinets and they are not made from durable wood, rather they are the laminate/plywood type that is painted over.

As I am remodeling this house, I do not want to spend a fortune on it as I would rather spend my money on travel, so I needed to think about what to do with the bathroom without having to replace the cabinet. I went to tons of stores to see what they were doing with bathrooms, and I looked on Pinterest and Houzz to give me ideas. What really helped me was when I walked into the Rustic Rooster in Sarasota to buy chalk paint, and I saw what the man had done with a kitchen cabinet. I asked him about using the chalk paint in the kitchen, and he told me he just finished a person's kitchen using chalk paint and then used decorative pieces placed on the cabinets so he could antique the pieces.

Light bulb went on for me!





So, I went home and looked at my cabinet. Ugly and boring. I wanted color. My walls are light blue and I know that I will get a new counter top for the cabinet, but what should I do now? I went back to Rustic Rooster and picked up a small can of Annie Sloan Louis Blue paint. I was in business!









Within a couple of hours. I had a blue bathroom cabinet. Once again, no prepping. I wiped down the doors where I was going to paint, and simply applied the paint (actually my niece painted it for me). Gave it two coats to make sure there were no missed spots, and walla! new look. Previous to painting the cabinet I could have applied a decorative piece to the corners, or after the paint was applied, I could have decorated with stencils (remember the chair) or painted a scene, but I like a plain, simple line, so I am satisfied with the finished piece.

Even though I could have applied the wax the same day, I waxed it with clear Annie Sloan wax the next day. Since I am now sold on the polyacrylic, I will wait for about a year, when I know it needs to be rewaxed, and I will then apply the polyacrylic. That should keep it good for life.


I did get new handles for the cabinet, but I do not like them. I want funky handles and have not found the right ones yet, but these will do until I find exactly what I want.

I am ready to try the chalk paint on parts of a wall, but I haven't figured out what I want to paint yet. I'll share as I decide.

What is shown above is in the master bathroom, a room that I am in the process of redoing. I have finished the guest bathroom, and I will share that with you tomorrow. I am soooo pleased with its' outcome.

Until tomorrow...have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment