Tuesday, March 1, 2016

An Irish Show

One of the perks of living in an active adult community is the bus trips. Yesterday, there was a full bus of adults going to Clearwater to the Ruth Eckerd Hall to see Women of Ireland. I was expecting to see only Irish dancing, but that was not the case.




These three women were the main attraction and they sang mostly Irish songs. I say mostly because "Let It Be" was included, which, I believe is Paul McCartney's song. Along with their songs were a spectacular acrobat who climbed scarves and tumbled to the stage in a twirl when she let herself go. Actually, one of these ladies was singing while she was doing her acrobats and I have no idea what the songs were because my focus was on the girl climbing, stretching, and falling from the scarves. I was mesmerized!

Of course there was dancing -- Irish dancing, and tap.

And then there was the musical entourage, including a lively violinist.

Altogether I counted less than 15 people who made this group of entertainers.


I have not seen Irish dancers before except on tv when the PBS station features the lines of men and women clinking their feet to the Irish rhythm. And that is what I thought Irish dancing is. But, not from what I experienced yesterday. First, they were performing like any ballerina would with their soft flat shoes. I know I could not, nor ever could have, jumped straight up from the stage like a rocket taking off, or jumped straight up while spreading my legs high and far apart. As I watched them I kept thinking, I used to be more limber than I am now, but I never could do that! Then again, I never took dance or acrobatic lessons. That probably says something.

Then, there was the tap. The ensemble had one male who danced, and wow, what a dancer. He was an excellent tapper. He also could lead and follow the dances as they danced the Irish version. By this time I was intrigued with the shoes. First, I saw the ballet shoes, then the tap shoes, then there was another shoe, the Irish shoe which had a tap heel but a toe where you could stand.


Add the tapping, standing on the toes, jumping straight up and bending the knee at an extremely fast pace, and there it was -- the Irish dance. Quite impressive!

What a great way to spend a Monday afternoon. Until tomorrow...have a great day!












No comments:

Post a Comment