Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Madeira

Madeira -- an island off the coast of Morocco in the Atlantic Ocean, under the rule of Portugal, known for its wine and flora and fauna, and I must admit, a fascinating place to see.

We stopped in Funchal, the capital of this island, and my travel companion and I decided to take the tour "Panoramic Scenic Drive with Madeira Wine Tasting". It was worth the time and money. What struck me the most was the land.


Houses were built on the sides of the mountain and each one of those rows pictured at the left is someone's farming plot. They used to grow sugar cane but even though that is now grown some, much of the land harvests bananas -- small, green and sweet. They also harvest tamarilho, the English tomato; the custard apple; and a pinapple fruit that tastes like a banana. Now, mind you, there are no roads to the farm plots so people climb to their plot to tend their harvest. Talk about being in shape!



Madeira is also world renowned for its hiking. From the bus, I did view one person hiking the hills of Madeira. The tour guide said people come from all over the world to hike these lands for their vacations.


We saw these lands on the way to the top of a mountain. We ventured up a very winding, narrow road where when we arrived was a most spectacular view, and, of course, a shopping area. (I can say, though, that there were not many opportunities to shop by taking the tours. We actually toured instead of having shopping as a destination. So it was with this tour also.)





From the lookout point we were able to see the wide open Atlantic Ocean that we were crossing (above). Every harbor has its lighthouse (top left), and to the left is the scenery from the top looking onto Funchal away and below the mountain.





The town was quaint with an old charm I like to see when I travel to Europe. We do not have that in America -- our cities are new with skyscrapers, and looking beyond, the cities' border towns have their shopping malls and further from the cities are the rural small towns that are slowly disintegrating. So, I really enjoy Europe's charm. And Europe has a fantastically long history. I like history.

Madeira seeps in history but it is best known for its wine. Whoa! I was not prepared for this wine. When we first entered the bar, we were asked if we wanted sweet or dry wine. Sweet. I was expecting something like the Moscato wine I favor, but not at all! I thought I was drinking brandy. Strong, robust, and I could not taste any sweetness to it. But that is me. Some people loved it. Come to find out, it's one and maybe the only one where a person can open the bottle and it is still good after a year! Now that is robust. It's all in the making of the wine.

As we walked the streets of Madeira, their were wide boulevards and narrow side streets that slightly climbed -- and there was a Ritz Carlton. Wasn't expecting to see that hotel there, either. There were just so many surprises when I visited this town.

But, it was the colorful fishing boats that got me. Loved, loved, loved them. Had one of these photos enlarged and I will be putting it on my wall.





All in all, a very pleasant way to spend a day. Although I am not a hiker, I do believe that this town warrants another trip -- not a long trip, but a stopover for a day or two to explore some more.

Tomorrow, on board the ship.

Until then...have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment