Friday, March 18, 2016

The Streets of Barcelona

There are many sides to Barcelona -- the old, Gothic side; the new, modern side; the Mediterranean Sea side -- and all have their parks, their boulevards, their cafes and shops. A delicious city where I believe I have to visit many times to fully see the different sides.

My introduction to Barcelona began in the old world, the Gothic side. Our hotel was small, quaint, and a block from Barcelona Cathedral graced with its broad boulevard filled with kiosks of antiques, small tables and chairs for people to enjoy a meal or a beverage on the boulevard, and entertainment, whether it be people watching or listening to a person who sat down with guitar in hand to serenade the strollers.





Once outside the hotel and around the corner this is the view we encountered to start our day ---

The Barcelona Cathedral. Originally built in the 4th century, then destroyed in the 10th century, and rebuilt in the 11th century with a Romanesque style. Finally, in 1289 the present Cathedral was commissioned to be built by King James II, and it was mostly finished in 1448.




One of the reasons why these buildings took so long to build was the handiwork of the spikes on the roofs of these buildings. Take a look. Today we have steel structure roofers who go high in the sky, but I really wonder how those men built those spikes with their statues and crosses in crevices up and down the peaks in the days of long ago?






This is the boulevard in front of the cathedral. The cafes line the boulevard with the tented antique markets lined up in the middle of the boulevard.


This is my favorite picture that I captured in Barcelona. The man came with the guitar and microphone and started playing. But what I really like about the photo is the little girl enjoying his music while young lovers sit on the sidewalk deeply engrossed in their togetherness.








To the left is something we do not see in America. These medieval roads are narrow and what in today's standards we would call walkways/sidewalks or alleys. But, when this cathedral was built, those narrow streets were where people passed one another on foot, on donkey or other means of transportation. I was fascinated with the walkways/alleys that are so foreign to our way of living in America.






My travel companion and I went on the ho-ho around the city. First we stayed on the bus through the entire tour, deciding what we wanted to see in our full day in Barcelona. We were able to view the Mediterranean and the modern side with its multiple parks, and as we passed through each area we decided we wanted to explore La Rambla.













At the entrance to the wide boulevard known as La Rambla is a monument honoring Christopher Columbus. In the background of the monument is a government building, I believe the Customs Building, but I am not for sure. The photo directly above is La Rambla, a boulevard lines with vendors and where people eat and enjoy a glass of wine or other beverage. Also along the tree lined street were painted people where I had my photo taken with one of them.





I think these people are fun to have (they are also in Las Vegas), so I gave a tip and stood next to the aqua lady. (I am not that short -- she was on a pedestal).




And, of course, we always get hungry. We selected an outside cafe at the entrance to La Rambla, and the food was good, the cola was warm, the sun was shining, and we were in for another treat as a man came over and started to Flamenco!


How in the world could I get enough of Barcelona in only the few days we were there! I was not even able to explore the tip of the iceberg. I need to go back.

Since this was the port that we would board the ship to take us transatlantic to Tampa, we needed to call it a day. Never change Barcelona! You are wonderful.

Next week I am going to continue the travel section by showing the stops before heading out to the Atlantic.

Until Monday...have a great weekend!





No comments:

Post a Comment