Monday, March 21, 2016

Malaga






MALAGA -- a part of theAndalusia community, situated in the Costa del Sol of Spain, the birthplace of Picasso, and a splendid port to visit and to revisit.







Walking the streets of Malaga was like taking a trip back in time. Here is where the Alcazaba, the Moorish fortress of the 11th century, stands. Although it was one of the offers for a day tour, I opted to see the town and see where Picasso was born and where he lived as a young child. I wanted to walk the same streets he walked, to see the same buildings he saw, and to wonder what he was thinking as a child. I was not disappointed, but knew I had to see more of Malaga some other day. (I keep saying I need to go back to Spain -- to Barcelona and now to Malaga.)


To the left is the apartment's balcony where Picasso lived as a young child. To the right is one of the streets around where Picasso lived as a child. He grew up here, played on these streets, probably drew some of his first drawings about these streets.








Then, the tour guide showed us the church, Santiago Parish, where Picasso was baptized. Amazing, and truly a step back in time. A very small church with alcoves covering its sides with statues of Jesus and the Virgin Mother.



We arrived on Sunday so we were unable to go to Malaga Cathedral, also called "The One-Armed Lady", due to mass being said during our time there. The reason why it is called The One-Armed Lady is the south tower was never finished for a couple of questionable reasons, one being the money was spent by giving it to Americans during their war against Great Britain; the other being the money was spent on the renovation of a roadway called "The Way of Antequera". This is definitely a cathedral I would like to see, so it is on my bucket list.




The other part of the tour was taking a bus trip to a park overlooking the city and a bullring. What a beautiful port town Malaga is!

We asked about the bullfights, and the guide explained that does not occur in Malaga at this time. Which, to me, is good since I do not think I could watch the goring. Remember, I did not even like the Rodeo in Wyoming.





Really, though, the bullring is a magnificent structure, and huge! I could almost hear the Oles as people watch the sport while I looked down on this arena.







And then, the time was up and time to go back to the ship. Long face....

There was so much I wanted to see and did not have the time to do. I did ask the tour guide how much it would cost to rent an apartment in Malaga. He told me to stay on the beach it would be about $2000/month. I am sure it would not be that much money in town or out of season, but if I were to spend an extended time there, I would consider renting a studio or small apartment. There is the history, the beach, buses and trains, and so, so much to see and do. Once again, the people were so hospitable, I would not have any doubts that I would be welcomed to explore their great land. 

Tomorrow, to Gibraltar.

Until then...have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment