Thursday, March 31, 2016

Decorating Accessories

A home is a home is a house without accessories. Color is nice, furniture is functional and cozy, but without the accessories, a house is not a home. Needless to say, I am not a minimalist. I like the look of clean lines and everything out of sight. I also like white rooms, and I now know that doesn't work. The minimalist look does not work with me, either. So, I limit my accessories to a few good pieces and make them a focal point. And if I can make them, better yet.

Going back to the model home tour my friend and I took last weekend, there were items I know I can make, and I am always looking for ideas.



Take this bird. I can do this. All this is is a mold and then paint. I do this type of work in ceramics, and really, if you have a half-way steady hand, you could, too.

You could buy the piece in any ceramic shop or at a hobby store that sells ceramic bisques (that's the piece that is already cleaned and fired). Since you are not going to be eating on a decoration, you can use acrylic paint (found at any hobby store or Walmart or a store such as). Paint the bird any color, any way you want. After you are finished, take the bird outside and gently spray an acrylic finish on it -- either matte or glossy, depending on what look you want it to have.

On any piece of ceramic, as long as you are not going to be eating on the plate, bowl, etc., you can use acrylic paints and simply give it an acrylic finish after you are finished.

I love paintings, so I had to include this. Whether if you paint, make, or buy a set of pictures that flow together, the look is stunning. This was behind a dining room table, and I was wondering if I could do this. If I ever try, I would get a piece of canvas then trace a picture on the canvas, and then fill in with paint. I think I should try something like this one day.



Then there is fused glass. This is what I am learning how to do and I understand this piece. Fusing glass is simply melting/firing two (or three) pieces of glass together then putting the fused glass into a mold to get a shape. This vase's outside glass is made with that design. Then, the inside of the vase is white opaque. I really want to learn a lot about this art form.The dish shown is the same fused glass with a tourquoise/green piece of glass and a clear piece of glass fused together and then shaped by having the piece of glass fired again in the mold. So far, I know of three ways to work with glass -- stain glass (where I have made a few pieces), fused glass (where I have also made a few basic, very basic pieces), and blown glass (which I know absolutely nothing about but I think it really cool).

Finally, there was a piece that I thought unique and I am thinking how I could use the idea.


My cousin gave me a piece of white birch when I was in Illinois last summer. Initially, I was going to use it for picture frames, but I am wondering if I could soak the bark off the branch and shape it into a form similar to one seen here. Then, the bark would have openings where I could put flowers, plumes, leaves, etc. Something to think about.

I am busy all the time with my crafts and writing, so this attempt is on my to try list.

And for me, I think I can make anything, or at least I think I can.

Which brings me to something I bought from the men in the wood shop. This is a leaf (right) and they put the base inside a piece of tree. I thought this so cool I had to buy it. Probably cost them nothing to make but time. I paid $25.00. A bargain for a unique piece.




Until tomorrow...have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment