Thursday, March 24, 2016

The Transatlantic Cruise

I do not think cruising is expensive, in fact from what I learned on the cruise ship, it may be the most economical way to travel across the oceans. When I first checked the cruise boarding in Barcelona and arriving in Tampa, Florida, the fare for an inside cabin, double occupancy was $588 pp + taxes, fees. The longer you wait until boarding the higher the price is, but if you book ahead you can get some good prices. And then there are the specials the cruise lines run, such as 2 for 1 or 30% off or spending money onboard. I learned early on when I knew I wanted to travel that I needed to do my homework, and lots of it. The entire trip was for 15 days. Even if the fare is $1500 USA money for 15 days, that includes food and entertainment, and I think that is a good deal. And they do entertain!

We sailed Royal Caribbean, and every night they had a show -- some were excellent, some were so-so, but they did entertain. Then there was the show before the show. Actually, I really enjoyed these because the actors were really the crew that did the dances, etc. from their native countries (and I think many, many countries were represented).



Here, the dancers are readying before going onstage. I think these people were from Thailand, or from Indonesian. Most of these people were our servers and cabin attendants.




These three photos with the bad lighting (due to the ship's lighting) portray the actors showcasing a story from their native land. The problem was that everyone onboard wanted to see these special shows and very few of us could get close enough to really enjoy the shows. That was my suggestion to the cruise line, I would have loved to have seen these showcased on stage instead of the middle of the dance floor. They were spectacular. This is probably the only one I truly was able to enjoy from the four that were offered to us. And I saw this from standing in a corner.


Along with main attractions, there were lectures, trivia, karaoke, dancing and dance contests, cake decorating lessons, napkin folding lessons, gambling, fitness center, swimming and belly flop contests, sun bathing, get togethers for solos, anything that you could think of.

On top of this, I had the opportunity to meet some very nice people. One of the persons I met was a lady from Canada. She and her friend flew from Canada to Barcelona and crossed the ocean to reach Florida. She explained this was cheaper than flying from Canada since the Canadian money has devalued so much. She then was going to spend the winter in Florida and do the reverse cruise to go back to Canada.

Then, at the dining table in the main dining room our seatmates were so much fun to meet. The one couple travel a couple of times a year and lives in Florida, not far from where I live. The other couple are in their 80s and travel all the time. They explained that some 30-35 years ago they sold everything they had and started out. She said then it was bareboned, sleeping in hostels and camping out. And what a life they have had! They now have a small place in Florida to hang their hat between trips. Yes, they are still fit and ready to go.

The six of us (me, my travel companion, the other couple and the traveling couple) had the pleasure to get together in Florida once we returned and she was so right. She had photos (an entire closet full) of photos around the world. I zeroed in on China.

Also, on the cruise ship I learned of people who traveled that way for socialization. Some people were in their 90s and they attended the lectures and entertainment. Some simply enjoyed the sun while reading. People came from everywhere.

Since I talk to everyone, I wanted to know more about the crew. Hairdressers I talked with were from Romania and Serbia, They loved, loved their job and was learning English as they worked and got to know the people. Our attendant was from Malaysia, and he had a family there. Charming guy, and we learned all about his family, sons and grandson. Our main server was from Tortuga (Haiti) and the attendant server was from China. I think she was new, she looked scared to death in the beginning but warmed up as the cruise went on.They work hard, long hours while cruising but only work 9 months of the year. The rest of the time they go home. And I could tell they were a close knit group. Shoot, if I was young, I might try for that job. Meet people from all over the world and get to see the world. Not a bad deal.

The closing night the captain and the crew gave their own show with flags representing all the countries that worked on the ship.




Even though this picture has too much red, due to the smoke and lights of the show, this crew member was from Turkey showing the belly dance.

It's all way too much fun. I am waiting for my next cruise.

I could tell story after story of people I met on this trip and on this cruise line. It was simply so much fun to sit next to someone, say hi and learn about that person to never meet again. But what great impressions I have of the people around the world. I want more.

My tale of this trip is over, but I am sure as time goes on I will refer back to it with another story or another person I have met. It seems as if every trip I take, whether to Yellowstone or Barcelona or cruising is the best trip I have had. Isn't that nice that my experiences are so appreciated and grand!

Until tomorrow...have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment