Friday, April 15, 2016

Ceramic Pieces with Embellishments

I am getting caught up with my ceramic projects (for the minute, anyway). I am starting a stain glass piece that I will put a lot of effort and time into, and I want to get back to the projects around the house, namely to paint the footstool with chalk paint and finish the shell lamp I have been working on for I think forever. Will share those with you as they are completed. Also, my book is coming along just fine. I still have the self-imposed April 30th deadline and I am pretty sure I will make it. Then, to publish. I will definitely bring you on that journey with me.

Today, I want to show you the other ceramic pieces that I have finished.




This little box now sits on the ledge in my guest bathroom. Just a little trinket box for my guests to store their rings or small items. I painted the outside with a simple sage green foundation paint and I wanted to add one of my shells. Simple. Used 6000 glue and glued the shell to the trinket box. Safe, secure, and I have a cute little box for the room. Now, I want to find a small air plant and put next to the box on the ledge, and that part of the bathroom is complete.

The other pieces I have recently finished are two boxes that are alike in design. I thought when I ordered them that they would be bigger because they were listed as cookie jars, but they are not deep at all, so what should I do with them? Both were painted with foundation paint (two different shades of blue) and both have decals on the boxes. But, something went wrong with one of the boxes. The lightest blue box's lid is not glossy like the body of the box. So, I decided to give one away and keep the other. I will store the soap I talked about yesterday from graciepieapothecary.com.







Here are the two boxes before the decals. Notice how the back box's lid is shiny. The front lid should be shiny, too, but it came out as matte. I was told that there was not enough paint on it. So, I learned.















This is the box I am going to give to a friend (she loves birds, especially herons). It really turned out nice and people say the use of the decal on the box makes it look antique. Please note that when you use a decal on ceramic pieces the decals are specially made for ceramics and once the decal is on the piece, the ceramic piece is fired again. Now the design is embedded in the ceramic piece.









I used shell decals for this piece. Here you see the soaps stored in the box. I am going to place it in my master bath, and when I want to smell the fragrances, I will simply open the lid.










There are just so many ways to embellish ceramic pieces. And there are tons of different paints to use to give you different affects.

What I have started and will probably take me the good part of this year is next year's Christmas present. (One will get a ceramic set, the other will get a stain glass piece). The ceramic set is a set of pasta bowls that I have started. This time, instead of firing the piece, after I cleaned it I have started painting the designs on the greenware. Please note that these vegetables are raised on the bowl so it is easy to paint. The picture below is only the beginning. Will show you the finished pasta bowl as I get one done. Many to make, though, many to make.


Until next week...have a great weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment