Wednesday, April 13, 2016

On Living Longer

I saw on Facebook that someone posted there have been studies that people live longer when they have a purpose. Well, I knew that. In my life my identity was my work. I was Mary the Journalist, the Editor, the Educator. Then it is no longer. My identity was taken from me by choice. It was my choice to retire, to find another calling in life. Another purpose. But, what? that was the big question. I tried this and that for a day or two, and said no.

I even had an entire day where, in my mind, I applied for a job. First, I thought I wanted to work full time, and that lasted about a minute. Then, I thought part-time. That lasted for maybe five minutes. I started thinking about how the part-time job would interfere with my crafts, my writing, my travels. So, no. Then, I thought, seasonal. I could do seasonal during the holiday season or the tax season. That lasted for about 10 minutes. Can't do that. I go away for the holidays; don't want to give that up. Then, the tax season. Too much stress. So, I figured out I was not going to traditionally work anywhere while I am retired.

But, I need a purpose. I need to identify with who I am at this moment. And I figured it out. Exactly what I said I wanted to do. Crafts. Writing. Travel.

It's already proven that people who live in a retirement community do live longer. Why? Because we are too darn busy being active. I am so busy I have to have a schedule. Monday a.m. -- stain glass; Monday p.m. -- ceramics. After that is this blog and I'm thinking of resuscitating another I started a long time ago and put on the back shelf when I moved. That one is about idioms and the words we use. Then, I may look over my writing or do some reading (reading The Paris Wife -- which is excellent). Throw in some exercises or a good walk. Finally, about 8 I fix dinner and eat, watch some t.v. And I start the day again. Some days have more ceramics, some more stain or fused glass, some more writing. Throw in meetings with the Writing Group and the DAR group. Then, there is always the next trip to plan and prepare for. I have no time!

Since I am in good health and have long genes, I can see why there are many centenarians here. They're just too darn busy to get sick and die. Maybe our purpose is not to save the world (we tried that a long time ago -- didn't work) but most people here do have a purpose. Maybe it is volunteering, or simply helping other people, or doing the craft thing, or playing cards, or golfing, or fishing, or traveling, or, or, or....the list is endless. But we do have a purpose. Not the traditional one. But, we do have a purpose.

Until tomorrow...have a great day!




No comments:

Post a Comment