Wednesday, April 27, 2016

We Do Live in a Global Economy

I have talked a little about an upcoming trip to Alaska, and since the time is getting shorter, I am starting to get items ready to take. One of the items I have been looking for is a lightweight coat that I could wear while viewing the glaciers, and then could also wear when I go north during the autumn months. I could also use the lightweight coat on chilly nights here in Florida during the winter (we do have a couple of weeks of winter).

Believe me, living in Florida means you do not find a multitude of coats, so last year I bought a coat online, but it is too heavy for what I need for the trip, and really too heavy to wear here on a chilly Florida night. It is only good if I go to Chicago in early winter, or late, late winter.

I thought, how about a boiled wool coat. Lightweight, could fold in a suitcase, maybe even put it in one of those bags and suck the air out so I have one small package for a chilly morning. Sounded good. I decided to start my search online.

Where I found the product I was looking for was on Etsy.com. (That site devoted to people who hand make products and sell their products there). Not only did I find what I was looking for online, but I found two designers who make these to size -- one in Bulgaria and the other in Italy. I could also ask questions to the designers and that is exactly what I did. That was last night or I should say this morning about 1 a.m. before I went to bed.

I received the answer to my query. Within 24 hours. It looks like I am going to have a lightweight poncho for my trip. I think I will get it in grey.

I am amazed. Just a few short years ago, this would have been impossible. Today, we are a global people making, buying, and selling products from almost anyone, anywhere in the world. And I love it. I love giving my business to an entrepreneur instead of a corporation. And for me the only place to find these people after I go to the local entrepreneurs to first buy local is online. And online can take me anywhere at any time. I am excited. I do not have to settle for what I don't want.

Until tomorrow...have a great day.




No comments:

Post a Comment