Monday, April 4, 2016

Reminiscing with music

A few days ago in ceramics we had a man join our group. I had the pleasure to sit next to him and we had a great conversation, which led to other people reminiscing also.

Like me, he is an old hippie. But he had the pleasure to be in California during those days of 60s and 70s music and mayhem. He talked about seeing the Doors and Janis and the Rolling Stones. He was at the Fillmore. We all aaahhhed at the Doors. Just brings "Light My Fire" to life. And Janis! He said by the time he saw her she was a raging alcoholic where she did not even finish the set. But she is iconic, alcohol and all. "Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz..."  And I remembered she was coming to Chicago and a friend and I were going to go see her but we both had other engagements and said next time. There was no next time. She died. And who can deny Mick and Keith and all those Rolling Stones. "I can't get no satisfaction..." They were and are a rock to our generation.

Another lady at the table said she was from New York, and she was at Woodstock. We asked about that one. She said you could smell the pot all over the ground. And she talked about Jimi. Remember "Purple Haze"..."'scuse me while I kiss the sky". I can still see him on that guitar. And how could I forget "Wild Thing...you make my heart sing...oh, you make everything groovy...." We mentioned that the couple that is on the Woodstock album cover are still together in real life. And I said I still have that album. And most of the others except the Beatles, I gave them to my sister years ago.

Me, I was in school at Southern Illinois University, and although there were no music sit ins, we had our ways. For me there was the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago where I saw Steppenwolf. Think back to "Magic Carpet Ride"..."Why don't you come with me little girl on a magic carpet ride..." If I recall the Three Dogs Night was there back up band. "Joy to the World". Imagine that music with Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild..." which really became the theme song to Peter Fonda's "Easy Rider" movie. Loved that movie! At the school, there was more folk, like Bob Dylan, "Lay, Lady, Lay", "Blowin' in the Wind", and "The Times They are A-Changin'".

There is no doubt that couple of hours we spent painting our ceramic pieces and talking about the greats of our generation was a time none of us will soon forget -- let's not forget Black Sabbath, Lynard Skynard, Allman Brothers, Santana, and my favorite group, the Moody Blues, "Nights in White Satin...Never reaching the end...Letters I've written....Never meaning to send..." And Jefferson Airplane, can't forget Grace Slick singing "White Rabbit...one pill makes you larger...and one pill makes you small...and the one mother gives you...don't do anything at all...go ask Alice...when she's ten feet tall...." Oh, Grace. you were good and will live in the hymns of our mind.

But Bob Dylan said it all, "The Times They are A-Changin'" and they did for all of us as we got older and established a life. And today, as I sit in my clubs creating ceramic pieces, or stain glass or fused glass, or writing my book, I'm still the old hippie. I may look different than when I was 20 but in the recesses of my mind, I still have flowers in my hair....and my music will live on.

Until tomorrow...have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment