Friday, April 22, 2016

Getting Healthy For My Trip to China

I want to go to China -- to see the Great Wall and the Terra Cotta Warriors, among the scenery and history China has to offer. So, I have been scouring travel brochures to see which one is right for me. Many different agencies have basically the same sites to see, so then it is a determination on how many days I want to spend there and whether I decide on the small nuances each agency offers.

Since the plane ride is so long, I am going to spend a good amount of time on the other side of the world. Being 67 and wanting to see as much as the world that I can, each time I go to a country will be the only time I go to that country, except Europe. I can always go back to a favorite spot as I travel throughout Europe.

Upon looking at the China itinerary, it is busy. I mean, busy, with planned activities most of each day for 14-21 days, depending on how long I go. Just reading the itinerary wore me out. But, I really want to go to China. So, I need to get ready to be able to keep up with the itinerary. To see everything I can see in the days I spend there (and Hong Kong, too).

First, I tested myself to see how much activity I could handle in one day. Fairly well. Good to go for a full day of activities. But, the next day was a wash-out day for me. Can't do that if I want to go to China. So, enter the Fitbit. Hey, it's working.

Then, enter a drink to raise my metabolism.


It's a simple drink and not too bad in taste. I mix 1 Tablespoon of Flaxseed Oil and 1 Tablespoon of Lechitin Granules with 6-8 ounces of Pineapple Juice.

And, I can tell the difference. Not the first day, but after drinking it every day for a week, I do have more stamina. And more stamina means I can exercise more which means that I can be stronger and go longer.


Besides the metabolism drink, I also start my morning with 1/2 lemon squeezed in an 8 ounce glass of room warmed water. Flushes those toxins out and gets me started on a good day.

The other thing I have been doing is eliminating fast food and processed food from my diet. That is a hard one. I am doing fairly good with the fast food and only stop at a burger joint a couple times a month and only for a burger from the value meal. It's been ages since I drank cola products.

Processed food is a different story. I gave up bread (except for buns when I have a turkey burger) a long time ago, so I also gave up my deli meat, which I love. Nothing like Boar's Head Cajun Turkey. No longer for me, though. But there is ice cream, and cream cheese and flavored crackers and tons of other food. I'm working on this one.

I was told that when I go grocery shopping, only shop the perimeter of the store, do not go down the aisles because that is where the processed food is. So long frozen dinners.

I've been doing this for a couple of months now and I can tell the difference. The full day of activity has stretched to 1 1/2 days with no down time afterward. Which means I can be busy for a good 36 hours (sleep in between) and not feel any effects. I don't need to stop or sit down to rest. I can go.

Like I did when I was 30 and could go all day and all night and not blink an eyelash. For days on end. That's what the difference is between then and now, the length of recovery. And I'm working on that.

Next moves. Going to start going to the gym to get stronger, and I am going to travel where I am busy for days straight but not as intense as China. Thought I might go to Ireland on a bus tour next year. That means every day going somewhere, doing something, but traveling from place to place on a bus. That should give me a good indication on how much I can handle. In between time, though, I will travel around Florida on day trips that would have been exhausting a while back and see how ready I am to go again the next day. One step at a time. I am determined. I want to go to China. And the sooner the better!

Until Monday...have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment